Monday, March 14, 2011

Monday Quality Post

So a combination of a local power outage and the workload of my 9 to 5 made this a very late post indeed, sorry guys. Anyway, the time change in the states wreaked a lot of havoc on my company's over 1000 workstations scattered throughout the US. Arizona does not observe daylight savings time, and yet still the users in that state ended up having more problems than most.

Hide yo kids!
I don't know what it is about Arizona, but lately they have overtaken both Alabama and Mississippi in resident dumbness. From their flirtations with fascism, to the fact that elected officials aren't able to give speeches there without being shot at, to their Arch-Lichess governor who seems to like to watch her own people suffer in the name of furthering American neoconservatism's ideology. Yeah I'm not a big fan of Arizona right now....

But anyway...

The Author's Great Uncle, Fred Gipson
Mondays are always a gray area for me with this blog anyways, I have weekly features that I have planned out that are solid, but for the first three days of the week I've somewhat left for my own creative devices (which can be dangerous). And I guess a hectic day like today is exactly the perfect chemistry for me to draw on the power of my great uncle. Yep, I have a famous uncle (doesn't everybody?). He was a writer as well, mostly heavily opinionated political editorials, and you all know him best as the man who wrote the book Old Yeller which became a very popular Disney film. My politics differ slightly from my uncle's, but our love of nature and the written word is as big a family tradition as any you would likely see. Most all of his books involve a location somewhere in Texas, as this was the whole world to him. My world is a little bigger, as it's the duty of every subsequent generation to push their scope of perception and the envelope of talent a little further from the last.

So even though this wasn't as juicy a post as previous, you at least got a bit of a peak at the author behind this blog. Even though this is just the (re)beginning of what could amount to a literary career, becoming friends with all of you has been my absolute favorite part. For my fellow bloggers, to family members, to old friends and new just stopping in, this has proven to be a labor of love indeed....

23 comments:

Sharon Day said...

Well, I seriously don't claim any affiliation with this stupid state even though I am stranded here. Getting free of my miserable marriage should have freed me up to escape this conservative state that preoccupies itself with if we can have guns in bars and college campuses and oh, yes, the border, of course! I have never fit in here. I have no people I identify with in this place. I just keep my mouth shut and work to talk my son's fiancee into moving to a liberal state. Fingers crossed. Yes, the not-changing-the-clock scenario fucks us up more than others in the country, but it's hard to tell because just about everyone here is insane. Oh, and the "governor's" face--freaking terrifies me.

Shutterbug said...

That's too bad about the power outage... It can be annoying, especially since everyone is reliant on their cell phones, computers, etc...

ed said...

i dont have a famous uncle D:
also - i dislike mondays

Chris said...

^what shutterbug said

Astronomy Pirate said...

Power outages, crazy people, and time warps! It's been a heck of a Monday for you. I'm glad I'm far from Arizona though, Maryland is a pretty rational state. One of the seemingly few sane ones left.

Sam said...

I feel the same way...hate monday! im so tired :S

skinned sheep said...

mondays are the days i pray the most for obvious reasons!

Anonymous said...

It's a shame so many hate Monday. At my age you're lucky to know what day it is. Interesting story you've written here! If any one is interested in picking up some basic car repair tips for the beginner, drop over.

MikeJoeMuse said...

All your posts are quality if you ask me. This one is good :)

Shelby Fox said...

Looking forward to some seriously juicy posts in the future. =)

Robert Fünf said...

Sounds like a pain. I hope the rest of your week improves.

GADAFINY said...

i like your post keep them coming bro i want more
following and $upporting

The Angry Lurker said...

I'm with you as to what to blog and I use the weekend to plan and take pictures, as an Irishman I don't know much about some of the american news issues you are relating to but I have a general idea.

Merlyy said...

Nice blog entry, thank you =)

Alphabeta said...

What is it about Great Uncles?
They tend to be very inspiring people.

Kicking Rocks said...

That awesome that you great uncle came up with Old Yeller and I'm guessing he also wrote Savage Sam?

Unknown said...

i hate mondays as well
tuesday also ;_;

'Auana said...

DX ive had several power outtages here as well..

Meghan Moran said...

Arizona brings us great shame. That's so cool that he's your great uncle.

baxxman said...

Usually I drink on mondays, so i forget them.

TheHarvester said...

i feel you. often feel myself in the situation not wanting to do a new blogpost since my 9to5 harasses me so much

Anonymous said...

LOL i have to laugh at your comments about Arizona. I can say I don't hate the state right now, but if University of Arizona doesn't win at least two games in this NCAA tournament, I will hate all things Arizona. :-)

Mondays do suck. So do Tuesdays. I'm at home sick today...BLAH! Have a great week!

Melanie said...

mondays suck. so does daylight savings time. i like the little bit of personal history! thanks for sharing. i will admit, i do not have a famous uncle. i shall be jealous of you from this point forward.