Saturday, March 12, 2011

Saturday Music Club:Blues for the Land of the Rising Sun

This is the fourth in a weekly installment of some of the music that I can't get enough of. My first intention this week was to go with Muddy Waters based on my first experience in jail. But recent events in the Land of the Rising Sun have shifted my priorities. 

The engineers and architects of Japan need to be hailed as the highest level of national heroes for insisting on earthquake proof designs and overhauling the entire Japanese infrastructure over the last 30 years. Because of their efforts, what could have been a disaster with casualties in the millions ended up being just a possible few thousand. But as industrious and as determined as the Japanese people are, they still need our help to dig out of the rubble of this tragedy. Please help them in any way you can by going here and making a donation. This isn't another Haiti, these are people who will dig themselves out and do not need a handout, but they could use a hand up!


"The Blues is all about a good man feelin' bad"
John Lee Hooker 1958


Japanese Blues Scene 
Tak Matsumoto
Born on March 27, 1961 in Toyonaka, Osaka, Tak Matsumoto has become an icon for Japanese Blues over the years with his signature style coined as "Kansai Blues". He has toured the entire world with his band and as a solo artist. His long standing friendship with fellow guitarist Eddie Van Halen has produced some of the best recording sessions ever to be heard. Here is he is playing live with fellow Japanese Blues Man, Koshi Inaba...


Just as soulful as anything you could hear in the Mississippi Delta...

Next up is a video with Matsumoto playing with the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra, and THIS is where you can here the Japanese roots and inspiration take hold of the guitar work and create a symphony of Blues and traditional Japanese sounding melodies... 

Shinji Shiotsugo
Very little is known about this enigmatic Japanese Blues Man, as he literally burst on to the scene in 2007 during a Blues exibition in Tokyo. But since that clear Spring night, when the cherry blossoms added to the illumination of the streetlights, Shiotsugo has been a fixture in both the Tokyo and Osaka Blues club scene...
And here he is in LA playing with American Blues composer Allen Hinds...




There is much more to see in this vibrant subculture in Japan. Though known more for it's catchy bubble gum pop, the Japanese music scene has alot more musically to offer the world that is rich in soul and full of emotion. I urge you to peruse YouTube and see for yourself.


And again, anything you can do to help these folks would go a long way in aiding a deserving friend... 

Click Here for Details

38 comments:

Disser2 said...

Great sound! I like it much

Jesse Brooks said...

That's some really great sounding music my friend. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sharon Day said...

Beautiful post. We could learn a lot from Japan about preparing--like shoring up New Orleans if people insist on living there. That music was gorgeous. Truly talented artists. Great way to start my work day.

Chris said...

Blues for Japan

D. said...

Nice music, I enjoyed reading

T. Banacek said...

I love John Lee Hooker. I'm listening to "Mean Mean Woman" right now. And you're right about the Japanese engineers. I can't imagine the destruction and loss of life if this happened in someplace else like Seattle.

Robert Fünf said...

I've never heard of Japanese Blues. I really liked it.

ed said...

these guys are pretty talented, sidenote - i think the best guitars are made in japan

Anonymous said...

this is new to me but sounds great

TheHarvester said...

lol i didnt even know japanese are into jazz and blues. sounds cool though

Alphabeta said...

Really have to be in the mood for blues. I wouldn't tend to be when out and about, so maybe no on Blues Clubs for me.
When I am in the mood I usually throw on some Robert Johnson. Love that stuff.

Jung said...

Japan knows their stuff. Good post.

Shutterbug said...

First time listening to Japanese Blues! I like it. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice music. I hope everyone in Japan is doing OK.

Innovations said...

Ah I'm taking a Jazz class right now and we've been going over this guy for a while.

Altenfrost said...

Great songs, you have good taste in music.
+following

Choms1337 said...

very nice music :)

FreeMe said...

i leik em!

G said...

cool post - go to love the blues

Shawn said...

Nice choices, well played...

Shawn

Anonymous said...

That was some nice music, I didn't know about this stuff.

Jok3r said...

Very Nice

synoptixs said...

wow first time hearing these guys and i love them!

Malkavian said...

i agree with Autumn forest, Japan is one of the most prepared countries period. And just a few minutes i saw that theres a freakin restaurant at the top of a tree, Looks pretty cool, need to go there once before i die.

Ray Rousell said...

Great post and theme about Japan. Love John Lee Hooker, but know nothing about the Japanese blues scene except your post.
cheers
Ray

MikeJoeMuse said...

This is really cool

Elliot MacLeod-Michael said...

Thanks for the interesting view into a scene I did not even know existed. Sound good, too. I am a huge fan of seminal American blues musicians such as Ledbelly and Robert Johnson.

Lhosreiff said...

Always been a fan of Blues, this stuff is great.

-inastateofblue said...

Thanks for sharing, will check it out (;

Zakk said...

love your blog, you have my support and I'll be following.

Electric Addict said...

wow these are sick. never even knew this genre existed

Banquo said...

Great post! I'm also a comp. engineer.

ebm93 said...

Oh cool! I never heard of them.

jopjopjop said...

love the video and the post too :D as always^^

Sam said...

Sweet music, made my sunday better!

Justin said...

If you've seen any of the music I post on my blog, you'll notice that it is A LOT different from what you posted here. That being said, I want you to know that I appreciate all music and this is the second time I've come back to listen.

Con Queso said...

I saw I think groupon doing a relief effort as well. A lot of organizations are coming up to help, it's good...

The Governor said...

damn they have good sounding music